Our Sub-Blogs

Thursday, March 7, 2013

McCain Calls Filibuster a "political stunt"

Rand Paul's recent 13 hour filibuster was praised and supported by politicians and regular citizens alike, but that does not include Senator John McCain of Arizona and Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina who clearly feel quite differently about the subject of constitutional rights.

McCain stated that the filibuster was nothing more than a "political stunt used to fire up impressionable Libertarian kids in their college dorms". I for one take great offense to that as I am a Libertarian. What bothers me is when neoconservatives such as McCain criticize Libertarians for being "too liberal" when they are simply following and supporting the constitution. What those neoconservatives need to realize is that in order for the Republican Party to stay relevant, they need to modernize. They need to appeal to those "Libertarian kids in their college dorms". Those kids are the future of the Republican Party.

What McCain also said, which REALLY gets me is: "I must say that the use of Jane Fonda's name does evoke certain memories with me...and I must say that she is not my favorite American. But I also believe that, as odious as it was, Ms. Fonda acted within her constitutional rights. And to somehow say that someone who disagrees with American policy - and even may demonstrate against it - is somehow a member of an organization which makes that individual an enemy combatant, is simply false". That is true John, but yet, that isn't how I believe you feel. McCain's views on foreign policy (including communism and anything to do with the Middle East) prove to me that this statement was said simply just to spark the argument.

During the filibuster, Paul asked the question (paraphrasing) "Will President Obama commence a drone strike on an American having coffee in a coffee shop?" Lindsey Graham's response to this was "I find the question offensive", going on to say how it "cheapens the debate". He then finished it off by saying "I do not believe that question deserves an answer". Of course it does! It is offensive...that's the point. It would be offensive if the President had the right to do such a thing. Graham might not think that it deserves an answer because it sounds so out of the ordinary. But nowadays, it might not. You never know.

I for one praise Rand Paul for standing up and filibustering for 13 hours. Even though Brennen was confirmed the CIA director, it certainly took a lot of courage, pride, and respect for the US Constitution to make such a passionate case for liberty...one thing that many politicians would not be able to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment